How To Productively Self-Isolate



Yep, the dreaded C bomb has crept its way onto the blog. But for something that might be of use to others to read amongst the fake news, widespread hysteria posts and photos of panic buying. We’ve all heard about COVID-19 by now - if you haven’t I assume you’ve been living in Outer Mongolia with no internet access and you’ve landed here on my blog - I’m afraid to tell you the story so have a quick google for yourself.

The words self-isolate and quarantine are ripe amongst us lately, and many people are in sheer panic at the utter thought of spending upwards of 7 days alone in the home with nothing to do. As someone
who’s suffered largely with depression, anxiety and mild agoraphobia at some time or other in my life, I’m here to tell you that spending time at home isn’t as bad as you might think, and you can actually get some things done. Or alternatively, you can binge watch Netflix (I recommend The Stranger and my current favourite Doctor Foster) and do absolutely naff all. Your choice of course.

What to do first?


Firstly, before we start any tasks or activities, the old phrase that always stays ripe in my mind is “tidy space tidy mind”, it’s time to declutter your room - or one step further, your home. Get some bin bags and start rifling through those old drawers of crap, yep I’m looking at you! I know you’ve got one, crack it open and get rid of those old letters, birthday cards from ex boyfriends and notes you’ve left yourself and never read nor made use of. Once you’ve gotten rid of all the rubbish lying around the place collecting dust, firstly, have a cuppa, you deserve it! Secondly, it’s time to spring clean that wardrobe, trust me, your local charity shop or women’s aid foundation will thank you for it, as will your bursting drawers! Get rid of any clothes or things that no longer give you joy or excitement (thanks Marie Kondo), that includes that Christmas jumper you swear you’ll make use of again, it’s March, and it’s tatty, throw it!

Now you’ve made your space a bit more crap free and spacious, it’s time to think about what you can do to fill the void of an empty day in the house.

1. Start a new Hobby

Of course the simplest thing to say is start something new, amazon prime is still going as of yet (who knows for the foreseeable) get on there and buy some supplies to start a new hobby.

2. Start a bullet journal

I’m going to do a whole post soon on my bullet journal as I’ve been doing it for 2/3 years now and it keeps me entertained on my days off. It’s essentially a DIY diary that you fill in however you see fit. Mine is with bright coloured pens and crayola felt tips with a hint of Washi tape and a dash of calligraphy. I use this to make lists of the things I want to do and see etc. Very therapeutic!

3. Read a new book

If you’re anything like me, you’ll have plenty of old books you bought on amazon prime excited to start reading the next day, realised you’re half way through something else, chucked it on the bookshelf and haven’t picked it up since. Repeat x100. I have so many books stacked up on my shelves that I want to read and never found the time or finished my current book for, I definitely recommend running a good bubble bath and getting tucked in to a good book. If you’re out of new books to read, may I direct you to amazon prime best sellers lists and also to keep your eyes peeled for a future blog post with some good ens!

4. Start a YouTube channel

This ones a bit out there, but hey, everyone has to start from somewhere right? Got a talent you want to show off? Got things you want to talk about? Get it out there for the world to see! It’s something I’ve thought about a lot and am considering myself, it’s all well and good talking about mental health issues on a blog but I think to really connect with people and get them to understand, seeing and listening is the best way forward.

5. Download some cracking phone apps

This is very Generation Z of me, but we’ve all got the App Store, get on it and find some mind numbing games to distract yourself when it all gets a bit much. When I’m struggling I spend an hour or two just sat playing the likes of Candy Crush Soda Saga (way better than the original) and Homescapes. I could lose hours just crossing coloured items to get a good score and it’s a distraction from the real world that sometimes we all need.

6. Online window shopping

A constant habit of mine is buying things when I get sad (thanks, BPD) so instead of actually buying them anymore I’ve started just browsing shopping sites such as boohoo, pretty little thing etc and just adding items I like to my wish list or cart and creating an imaginary what-If-I-were-rich cart of things I’d love to buy. Then I make a list in my bujo of things I’d like to buy in future and save up to get little bits I’ve wanted for a while. It takes some time of the day away and gets you thinking of outfits you already own and how to change them up too.

7. FaceTime your friends

Something we’ve started doing as a group when we need a pick me up or more often, when we’re hungover and want to talk about last nights events, is a Group FaceTime. Using the Facebook group chat FaceTime option you can call multiple people at once and just talk shit and have a giggle, a way to enjoy your quarantine and be a little bit less alone.

8. Look up some new recipes

I’ve been trying to get back into slimming world so one thing I enjoy doing in my spare time is using the Pinch Of Nom recipe book and Facebook page to browse tasty recipes for dinner time. I’m not going to lie, this is usually me sending them to my mum and requesting them for tea as I’m not trusted to cook in my kitchen - no questions please - but it’s a fun thing to do if you are a responsible adult and can make something fancier than beans on toast in the kitchen.

9. Watch a film

I don’t know about you but I always have an old stash of DVDs laying around in the house, mainly that were from childhood and haven’t been watched in donkeys years. You’re at home for the foreseeable, what else have you got to do? Whack on an old childhood classic and enjoy

10. Start a scrapbook

Something I’ve begun doing is realising I have 100s of photos stored on my phone from birthdays, trips and nights out of me and my loved ones and do nothing with them. I found an old huge notebook from years ago tucked away, ordered some pritt sticks from amazon, and went onto the free prints app and got a load of photos sent to my house to start up a good old scrapbook. It’s a perfect way to get creative, use up some spare time and finally put all your nice photos somewhere to keep. I used the app free prints, you get 45 free prints per month and then they’re 9p per photo after that and you just pay delivery. So I ordered around 75 prints and it cost me a fiver. Way cheaper than using boots or Tesco’s printing service and only takes a few days to be delivered.

So that’s ten of my suggestions for keeping busy this coronavirus season. Remember, look after yourselves, stay safe and don’t be a numpty.

Meg x

Meg

No comments :

Post a Comment

leave a comment!