5 Little Changes To Make To Improve Your Mental Health



If you're a regular reader of my blog, you will probably know that I suffer or have suffered from various mental health issues. I am a recovered anorexic and a current sufferer of Borderline personality disorder alongside depression and anxiety. I take my anti-depressants and anti-psychotics every morning, but that doesn't make it all magically go away, as nice as that would be.

In the 7 years of suffering with my mental health, I've learnt a lot about coping mechanisms, a lot about medication, a lot about therapies and mainly, a lot about myself. But most recently, I've learnt my triggers for my anxiety and panic attacks, and I've learnt how to cope with a depressive episode. I do take medication and have for about 6 years now, but I never completed any therapies, they weren't for me and to be honest a lot of it, was total bullshit. So I decided, sod it, I'm going to do this myself.

It hasn't been an easy road, but the bumps are fewer and farther between and I can see a lot further ahead of myself than I could, and there's a few changes I've made, some subconsciously, that have really helped me, and can hopefully help someone else.

1. I listen to my body, I go to sleep when I need to (I usually have a nap every day - this is terrible but sometimes when you're tired, you're tired), and I stay in bed if my body and mind isn't up to getting up just yet, some days you need a bit more psyching up for than others, it's fine.

2. I tell people when I need some space or some extra comforting that day. I used to hide away from my bad days and pretend everything was fine, now, I'm honest and when someone asks if I'm okay I say "no, not really, but it will be fine" because it will be.

3. I remind myself that nothing is more important than my own health. For one of my first jobs I worked in retail. I had so many days off that I was getting into trouble, I had two periods of time where I was signed off work by my doctor and I was just miserable. It wasn't the place at first, but it became a place that was haunted by my panic attacks and sadness so much so that I handed in my notice on my first day back without another job to go to, and never looked back. A job that is worsening your mental health is not worth your time, remember that.

4. I stopped using harmful coping mechanisms and started to stop and think rationally. I might have picked up a slight emergency smoking habit (I know, not doctor recommended), but it's a lot better than what my younger self would have done to cope. Or, a little bit more healthy but not by much, I have a nap and wake up and try again. I realised it was doing me no good, and sure I've had relapses, but I've come so far from realising, I'm so much better than that.

5. I try and force myself to do things more. I don't recommend doing this unless you know deep down you are strong enough to, but I started to challenge myself. I say yes to going out, yes to meeting up with people, yes to talking to strangers etc.

Sometimes there are days when all you can do is survive it, and that is okay, some of these things are for when you're feeling mentally stronger but that doesn't mean you can't do it.

What do you do to cope with your bad days?

Meg x

Meg