My Favourite Books of All Time - Self-Isolate & Chill


Yep, we're all lock downed, and I'm not going to lie, self-isolating is pretty much my entire life anyway as I'm currently waiting to start a new job. But I'm trying to make good use of all my free time when I'm not at my boyfriends, and that includes tackling my huge hoard of books I haven't read on the shelves. I'm a big fan of buying books on amazon prime, receiving them the next day then have them gathering dust for the next few months til I can be bothered to read it. Whoooooops.

I find running a nice bubble bath and tucking into a book a great release when I'm having a bad mental health day, it truly relaxes me and puts me into a whole new world that's not focused on my own problems and troubles, especially when I'm feeling particularly overwhelmed or anxious.


The Nowhere Girls - Amy Reed

I LOVED this book, it's one of those that you read and think, oh my god, why isn't everyone reading this book? If you're big on feminism, or just love a good read I recommend this highly. It surrounds three main girls, Grace, the preacher's daughter, Rosina, a hardened tough girl, and Erin, an autistic girl who struggles to understand the world. They are brought together by the story of a girl from their town who was sexually assaulted who was then victimised by her town and assumed she cried wolf, they become the 'Nowhere Girls' forming a group and try to avenge the rape of a girl they have never met. It's premise is around consent and features so many various stories of the women and girls inside and their attitudes and thoughts around consent, sexuality and misogyny. It goes hand in hand with the #metoo movement and truly brought my emotions to the brim reading this. Brilliant read.


This Is Going To Hurt - Adam Kay

If you haven't heard about this book already, where have you been??? Adam Kay was junior doctor in the NHS and tells his stories from on and off the hospital wards, from stillbirths, to foreign objects stuck in foreign orifices, to beautiful birth stories, this one kept me wanting more for sure. I love a good true story book especially when it comes to doctors and nurses and this one didn't disappoint me. I laughed, I cried and I wanted more when it came to the end, luckily for me he wrote a spin off book named Twas The Nightshift Before Christmas, which is the next one on my list! 


Only Ever Yours - Louise O'Neill

Oh my god, this book. It's essentially a dystopian universe where the girls, or Eves, are hand-reared from birth in The School, and are brought up and trained to be pretty, good and always willing. When they are ready to graduate, the Eves are chosen by the men, but only 12 of them are chosen. You can be a Companion - chosen by the man, a Concubine - essentially a prostitute in the outside world made for pleasure, or a Chastity - you teach and bring up the future girls as what is their version of a nun in the School. It's essentially like the handsmaid's tale meets mean girls. AMAZING. I genuinely couldn't put this book down it gripped me right to the gritty ending, a complete must read for me! 

Honourable mention goes to;

Everything I Know About Love - Dolly Alderton

I lent this book to Millie so couldn't picture it oops, but this book is a spin on a typical biography, with each new chapter bringing more info into Dolly's life, from terrible tinder dates, to best friend adventures to bad old flat shares. It's surrounding story line is finding love in the little things in life, especially friendships, rather than heartbreak stories. It was truly a hilarious read on the truth of Dolly's life in her twenties and I can't wait to read it again already. One to pick up! 

What are your fav reads? I always need a new book to pick up!

Meg x 

Meg

No comments :

Post a Comment

leave a comment!